Sunday, March 22, 2009

Grand Slam Drama


Well that was exciting wasn't it? It was an Irish team they never make anything simple. Well from what I can remember I may have blacked out after Stephen Jones scored that drop Goal the last five minutes are a bit of a blur as I watched them curled up in a ball on the floor with the TV on mute because in the heat of the moment and in my insanity it was tony ward and Ryle Nugent who where causing the welsh to win O’Gara squeaked over a drop goal and Stephen Jones came yards short of kicking the most devastating moment of sports watching life over the bar. Never mind the fact we hadn’t won a grand slam in sixty one years that ball was in the air for a lifetime.

They say before you die or have a near death experience that you see your life flash between your eyes and as that ball headed towards the post I can confirm I did I saw the ray Houghton goal against tally in the world cup,Wexford beating Limerick in 96, the Red Sox winning the world series in 2004 and 2007 and Harrington winning his majors flash before my very eyes before the prayers of a nation where answered when the ball just ran out of steam and nestled safely in the arms of Geordan Murphy and grand slam glory was ours.

I write/blog this one day after the impossible came through the team that failed so abjectly in the world cup and last year six nations, the tem that critics started to label as chokers and mused that where getting to old and where shock horror past got what they so richly deserved. As a fan of a team you feel like in some way you bond with the team you support that in some way you have shared the same experiences the bitter soul crushing defeats and the victories and to see that giants like O’Connell and O'Driscolls and O’Gara’s and stringers that have toiled for so long on the journey to reach this destination finally win the big one is immensely stratification.

If the above is just rambling nonsense I don’t care am still a little shell shocked about it all. Am happy they won and am happy that my dad got to see it .After France snatched victory form the jaws of defeat in Croke park in 2007(I think ill forever be haunted by the sight of Vincent Clerc skipping in for the try)me and my dad sat in stunned silence until finally he got up and ruefully said to me "you know I have never seen Ireland win a Grand slam" and walked out of the room well yesterday he finally did get to see it even if he was in the back garden and missed the last five minutes. Next year is finally here we are grand slam champions recession be damned I can’t stop smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment